A 600-year Noble History
It is not known exactly when Gammel Estrup was built, but archaeological excavations on the castle mound have revealed building remains dating from the 14th century.
Gammel Estrup was owned by the same family for 600 years. It was never sold but handed down from father to son/daughter until 1926. A son-in-law, Valdemar Uttenthal, bought the manor house in 1928, and in collaboration with public and private stakeholders, the self-governing institution Gammel Estrup, Jutland’s Manor House Museum, was founded in 1930.
The farm buildings and land were run as a commercial farm until 1969. The state then purchased the farm buildings and the state-owned Danish Agricultural Museum (today The Green Museum) moved in.
In 2018, Gammel Estrup changed its name to Gammel Estrup – The Danish Manor Museum.
Open all year except January